People in rented accommodation are less likely to report problems.
Typical problems seen in rented accommodation:
- Damaged power cables.
- Multiple electrical appliances plugged into one socket.
- Electrical items in bathroom, for instance hair dryer, radios or electric curlers.
- Damaged electrical sockets.
- Electrical cables running behind a kettle – cause of heat damage to cable.
- Hot plugs and\or sockets.
- Scorch marks on plugs and\or sockets.
- No insulation on wiring where it goes into the plug – coloured wiring coming out of the plug.
- Cables under carpets – easily damaged without being seen.
- Electrical appliances near water, for instance in the kitchen or outside.
- Unsafe tenant owned electrical equipment – monitor what tenants bring into the house.
- Signs of DIY electrics – never let a tenant install electrical wiring, sockets etc.